I’ve never tried to make Chicken Mole from scratch, although there are plenty of good recipes for that out there. This version with Dona Maria Mole sauce is pretty close to what I’ve had in Mexican restaurants. Their version usually has more chocolate.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 tablespoon chili powder (mild)
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
1 cup orange juice
1 8 oz. can tomato paste
Dona Maria mole mix
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp cinnamon
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown.
2. Add chicken thighs. Sprinkle with chili powder. Cover and sauté until chicken is lightly browned
3. Use orange juice or broth to deglaze the pan. Thin about 3 tablespoons of Mole mix with the orange juice. Mix the tomato paste and the rest of the orange juice and broth together. Add the Mole mix.
4. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and add the unsweetened chocolate. Stir until melted. Add cinnamon. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro (or have them on the side). Serve over quinoa or rice + peas.